Welcome to Mentone LSC
Mentone LSC Open Day
Sunday 21 October, 2018
9am - 12pm
Mentone LSC Summer Nippers
Mentone LSC holds Nippers (ages U6-U14) every Sunday 10am - 11:30am from 11 November until 3 March, 2019. Our Summer Nippers program focuses on structured lessons that teach surf, beach, first aid and life saving skills. Further Development and Competition training is held at sessions separate from Sunday Nippers.
The Mentone LSC Difference
Mentone LSC has several key areas that make us different than other clubs including:
- Year Round Programs - Mentone LSC has programs for Nippers all year round including Winter Nippers (held on Saturdays at Mentone LSC Beach throughout the winter). We also include regular visits to surf beaches throughout the year to work on skills in the ocean surf.
- Optional additional sessions - As part of membership Mentone LSC also provides sessions throughout the summer season (morning, evening and weekends) for those Nippers that want to do more.
- Summer Surf Skills Camp 7-11 Jan - Over the summer holiday we host a surf and beach skills camp for U8-U14.
- Strong Swimming Focus - Mentone LSC has a strong focus on open water swimming that includes introduction to open water swimming (through our Mentone LSC Seals program), intermediate and open water swimming (at Mentone and Ocean Beaches), and weekly open water swimming for adults. We also have a club swimming night weekly at Bayside Aquatics for both Nipper and Parent (including Nippers still learning to swim).
- New Mentone LSC Club House - Mentone LSC has recently been approved for redevelopment by the City of Kingston and the State Government of Victoria. Within the next few years we will have a brand new club house. This also includes a redevelopment of the foreshore area.
Additional Development and Sport
Mentone LSC offers many pathways for development of our youth. This includes the following areas
- Sport - Mentone LSC has a full staff of volunteer coaches that provide structured lessons in Life Saving Sport in sessions that are held year round for our Development (U9-U13) and Performance Squads (U10-U13)
- Winter Skills Development Camp at Maroochydore - Mentone LSC hosts a Winter Skills development course with Life Saving Legend and Olympic Medalist Clint Robinson every year (during term 3 holidays). This camp is meant for proficient surf athletes that want to take their skills to the next level.
- Peer Learning and Teaching - Mentone LSC provides many opportunities for young people to mentor others. For example, some of our older Nippers will also help to teach younger Nippers at our Monday Night swims and open water swimming.
Pathways for Growth
Beyond Nippers we provide several opportunities for growth including:
- Senior Sport - Mentone LSC has a large Senior Competition team that also has structured training, competes at LSV Competitions and also competes at Ocean6 Competitions.
- Patrol - We provide a range of training for life saving awards (SRC, Bronze Medallion, IRB, Spinal Management) and a great opportunity to be mentored on Patrol at Mentone LSC beach.
- Coaching - We offer the opportunity for our teenagers to help coach younger Nippers is a range of disciplines.
- Assistant Age Manager - Teenagers have the option to help manage a Nipper group under the guidance of parent mentors.
- Mentone LSC Shop - Mentone LSC shop gives our teenagers an opportunity to learn how to operate a small business.
- Special Projects - We also have a many other special projects that our teenagers at the club will help manage. This is done through a process of mentorship with Subject Matter Experts.